It’s Dressember, how exciting! My Christmas tree is up, my advent calendar is out and the shops are selling Christmas biscuits, bliss. I have all my Christmas presents under control too which is very unlike me. Everything that needs buying is bought and I now have the next twenty three days to make the rest of the pressies which is totally doable and going to be so much fun.
Yesterday I finally completed my first By Hand London Anna dress which I have christened The Lucky Dress (how lovely is the four leaf clover fabric?!)….
……which I absolutely love! I really wanted to make this dress after seeing all the gorgeous variations floating around on the interwebs (especially Dolly Clackett’s many iterations…I have the biggest girl crush on her). The pattern is very easy to put together and the By Hand girls have a great step by step sewalong to help with any little issues that may arise.
I started out by tracing the size 4/8 and then doing the FBA (thats Full Bust Adjustment BTW) adding the extra 3″ I need. I then lengthened the bodice by 1″ which worked brilliantly for the muslin, rather stupidly though I decided to only muslin the bodice and just wing the skirt….ooops! The finished hip measurement for the size 4/8 comes in at just under 43″ which just fitted my 42″ hips and I got as far as sewing in the zip and finishing the back seam before I decided that it just didn’t suit me, I wanted a fuller skirt. So out came the stitch ripper and I unpicked the skirt (and skirt lining), ordered myself another 1.5 metres of the fabric and used a Kittenish Behaviour skirt pattern to get the look I wanted.